Most people invest in washers for the sole purpose of making it easier to do laundry. However, there are times when they can do a lot more harm than good. It’s common to find people complaining that their washers are ruining their clothes, such that they have to keep buying new ones more often than usual. There are many things that can result in this including the way in which you handle the day to day use of the washer as well as how you have it repaired. It is therefore important to pay attention to all these issues to increase the life of your clothes. Some of the common problems you can find include:
- Ending up with clothes that have too much lint in them, which can make them pretty much unwearable.
- Clothing that is tangled after the wash cycle. The process of taking them apart can take time, and can also result in further damage to the fibres of the clothing.
- The clothes are not getting clean enough. This might force you to clean them repeatedly. This process places too much strain on the clothes fibres, which could accelerate the wear and tear of the clothes.
- They don’t smell clean. The door might be transferred from the other clothes to the rest of them, or from the washer itself to the clothes.
- They come out with stains, rips or holes. Sometimes, your clothes may end up being dirtier after taking them out of the washer.
The way in which the repair is done
If you use the washer and find that it’s damaging the clothes, try to go through the instruction manual to find out if you are using it as the manufacturer stipulates. If it turns out that you are and there is still damage to the clothes, you might need to have it repaired. This is a delicate process, so you should not let just any contractor repair the washer. Otherwise, you will pay them and not see any benefit. Some of the things that indicate that a particular repair contractor is good enough to handle this type of work include:
- They have been working for a long time, giving them the skill needed to handle any kind of job.
- They are familiar with the brand of washer you have.
- They offer same-day services so that you won’t need to wait for too long for the repair to be done.
- They are licensed and insured.
Consider working with contractors who are certified by the manufacturer of your washer, since this means that you can have it repaired under warranty.
Measures you can take to reduce these problems
A few things can be done to reduce the chances of having clothes damaged by the washer. After having any mechanical problems repaired, other modifications in how you use the device include:
• Wash it monthly: if you are a regular washer user, make it a point to thoroughly wash the device on a monthly basis. This involves putting about a cup of vinegar in the washer, and then running it in its hottest cycle. This will mix the vinegar with the water, cleaning the surface of the washer thoroughly. This helps prevent staining of the clothes and also gets rid of doors.
• Don’t overload: Overloading the washer increases the risk of lint formation as well as tangling. It also makes it more difficult to rinse the clothes, so they will smell of soap. Always put clothes in a quantity that is just below the rating of the washer for best results.
• Prepare clothes before putting them in the washer: For instance, make sure that zippers are pulled all the way up, and that there are no coins in the pockets of the clothes you put in the washer. These are things that might cause damage to the washer as well as to the other clothes you put in there. Delicate pieces of clothing such as sheer lingerie should be separated from the main wash to reduce the chances of ripping them.
• Check the drum regularly: Every once in a while, simply open the washer door and look at the drum. You may notice defects such as a piece of metal sticking out of the device. This has the potential to rip clothing during the spin cycle, so this inspection is important if you notice tears in your clothing. If you notice any defects, consult a repair specialist for more advice on how to have it repaired.
• Don’t let wet clothes sit in the washer for too long. This encourages the growth of mildew and mould, which can stain the clothes black in future.
By keeping in mind all the above, you will be in a better position to maintain the quality of your clothes while benefitting from the convenience of using a washer.